16 September, 2011

epic everything

So here I am, more than three weeks in my new home already. Ok, to be fair, I spent half of the time in the US doing some serious hanging out and working a little, so not actually three weeks at home. Yet, it's been great! Vancouver is still this amazing place that I had in mind from my visit. Fieldwork was awesome too, it always amazes me that I can get paid for doing some camping and climb a bunch of volcanoes :)
But let's start in the beginning: Arrived in Vancouver after some serious stressing out in Toronto. I basically didn't realize that I would have to go through a bunch of controls, so when I booked my flight I didn't really realize that less than one hour layover wouldn't be such a good idea. Either way, after passport control, immigration, picking up my 2 regular plus one oversize bags, going through extra customs for shipping stuff and beating everyone in line at the transfer check-in I made my connecting flight. Poor people next to me though, since I was basically soaked and had to stay next to them for another 5 hours :P
Keaghan picked me up at the airport, so I had a great welcome beer with him and Amanda. The next days were mainly heaps of errands to run, ID to apply for, social insurance, health insurance, the usual blabla.
Left for fieldwork 11 days ago, and had tons of fun: Crater Lake (Oregon), Medicine Lake and Lassen volcanoes (California), super sunny weather, successful fieldwork (took around 3000 pictures of rocks, do I need to say anything else??), camping, wilderness. Highlights included almost getting killed but survived a rockfall, finding a potentially dead body that later turned out to be just a tent, and an intense hail- and thunderstorm. Pics will be up soon!
Now I'm getting into class mode, and of course more settling in. Can't wait for October to start, less things to do, more fun and approaching the skiing season. Also can't wait for all my stuff from NZ and Germany to arrive. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment