03 May, 2015

Almost ready to leave

Three days to go before I'm leaving Vancouver for 4 months. I'm excited! My bags are maybe 75% packed. In fact, I started making piles of things I want to take with me last weekend. When I then started putting the piles in my suitcases I realized pretty quickly that (of course) there was too much stuff. So then I started to remove things from the piles. In the end, when I weigh my suitcases on Tuesday I will probably realize that I took too much out, and put some things back in... #firstworldproblems
It'll be quite a change pace-wise at work. Getting up to be at work at the same time every morning, not being able to randomly go for coffees with friends during the day, trying to fit in with the business environment. We'll see how it goes! Of course Houston will also be way different than Vancouver, but I'm not too worried about that. After all I've done a few big moves now, and it's not the first time that I'm moving to a place I've never been before. A 5 hour flight away from home (i.e., Vancouver), and only a 4 months stay seem almost not worth mentioning compared when I took off to New Zealand for 2 years. It's all relative! I'm also quite excited about my new apartment. It's not unlikely that this will be the only time in my life that I'll have a pool where I live! If I come back and have turned into a fish you know why.
There are only a few things left to do before I'm on my way. I need to finish a few more things for my work here, I need to figure out how to get electricity and internet in my new place in Houston, I need to prepare the talk I have to give when I get there. Nothing major, really.
The weather was quite variable here last week (truly April-y, with all seasons occurring in one day), so Genevieve and I weren't quite sure whether the pre-birthday/farewell BBQ we were gonna have on Friday could actually take place. But, come May 1, it turned beautifully sunny and it has been nice since. The BBQ was great fun (thanks everyone for coming over!), and I've spent the last two days mainly hanging out in the backyard. It's great weather for an outside workout too, not too hot, sunny, and dry. Last November James showed me an app for my phone that I can use when I don't have time to make it to the gym. It's called Nike Training Club, it's free, and it's really great. I've been using it at times when I'm busy, or when I want to be outside, workout, but not go for a run. It has tons of different workouts, depending on whether you want to get some cardio, build up muscles, or just stretch for a little bit. I tend to do two or three 15-minute ones at a time. There a tons of options, from classic programs like ab workouts and cardio drills, to yoga and pilates. There a videos to explain the exercises if you don't get it from the description, there is a timer that beeps when you're supposed to switch sides or move to the next exercise, and there is usually a voice giving encouraging comments when it gets tiring. Perfect for somebody like me, who usually needs an instructor at the gym to motivate me to really finish an exercise without getting sloppy. I also used it quite a lot when we were in Tunisia, it was great for morning workouts at the beach. If you ever don't wanna pay for a gym but still target specific parts of your body with your workout I highly recommend the app (shameless advertising, you can thank me later, Nike).
Maybe I can combine it with some swimming exercises in Houston... Although, probably it'll be too hot. Hopefully I will get a chance to write an update about Houston soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment