31 May, 2015

News from the land of the free, or 20 things I have learned about Texas.

Finally I'm getting around to an update. I have mostly settled in my new apartment and life. Of course being in Texas is quite fascinating! Here's a list of 20 things I have learned so far (in no particular order):

  1. You can buy apples as big as your head in the grocery store.
  2. There are trees and plants everywhere. Stepping outside is like stepping into a greenhouse. It's so lush!
  3. There's tons of cool wildlife! They have lots of really colourful birds, and turtles, and lizards, and really big butterflies. Snakes and alligators are also common, but thankfully I haven't encountered any yet.
  4. Everybody really does say "y'all".
  5. It rains. A lot. And after that even more. And it's not just rain, but torrential downpours and thunderstorms all the way through. They say it's unusual though.
  6. In most places I've lived I take an extra layer for when I'm outside. Here I take an extra layer for when I'm inside.
  7. Having a pool at home is awesome - a bit like going on a vacation every weeknight and weekend.
  8. The pool also helps to offset my lack of a bus ride: I get lots of reading done on weekends.
  9. Walking, apparently, isn't a thing here. Ever. Even when it's not that hot out. Sidewalks are basically unheard of in most areas.
  10. The Woodlands has a system of "trails". Turns out when they say trails they really mean paved bike paths.
  11. HEB is my new favourite supermarket. They have them everywhere, and they have a really big organic section.
  12. Of course I already came by a shooting range. And a gun & ammo shop. Maybe even multiple.
  13. On weekends, it seems like everybody and their dog are the mall.
  14. Using a cellphone while driving is legal. Seriously?!
  15. I can buy beer and wine at the grocery store again. Yaay!
  16. Ben & Jerry's ice cream is so cheap.
  17. Southern/creole style food is quite common. I've already tried dishes like seafood and Andouille gumbo, or fish with hominy. Tasty!
  18. When you go hiking, bring a gallon of insect repellent. Or more.
  19. Even when it's pouring rain and my cold-weather brain wants me to bring an extra layer to go outside, it's really completely unnecessary. I don't think we've had temperatures below 22 degrees Celcius since I got here, night or day, rain or shine.
  20. Fun fact of the day: Apparently, gas stations don't commonly have vacuum cleaners here. Even when they say they do.


So far things have been quite well. I'm slowly getting used to waking up at 6 AM. Last Friday I had to drive to Houston for some training, so I had to get up at 5. Even that didn't seem so bad anymore. Work is good, and they have a really nice gym on campus, so I'm already quite nicely settled in my daily routines, and tim is flying by. I still have some work to do unrelated to my project here, so my weekends have at least partly been filled with that. After I was in Houston already on Friday I stayed for the evening/night. I went to a really cool art museum, the Menil Collection, which was even better because it's free admission. I met up with some friends after to go for sushi (delicious, but not cheap - volcano roll for $23...), and then to a beergarden type pub after. Last weekend we joined The Woodlands Hiking Club for a little hike, which was great too. Hopefully I can get most of my weekend work done before I'm on my way to Europe in 3 weeks, and then I can start to do more fun things in the area when I get back... I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment