12 July, 2011

Germany and ice cream - or The Beginning of Limbo

So I'm home. What exactly that means, I'm not sure yet.
Saying goodbye to NZ was tough, but a good amount of gin and tonic during my various flights made it a little less horrible. Arrived in Munich and went for a beer straight away. Good times! Now I'm hanging out at my parents' place, trying to focus on all the work that I'm supposed to do. Sitting in the backyard in the sun when it's 30ºC really isn't too bad, but also not exactly an environment that's gonna help me concentrate. Instead of working on my paper I spend most of my time picking all sorts of berries from the trees, reading glossy little magazines, playing with the cat and eating ice cream and cookies. Went for a run yesterday and today, and I am learning: As opposed to yesterday, I actually managed to run on the right side today and greet people with "Guten Morgen" instead of "good morning". Success! And glad to see the small things in life can still make me happy :) Yet, I have the feeling I'm neither here nor there. I think maybe I got lost somewhere between NZ and here. Can't wait to actually have a real home again, 6 weeks from now.

Uploaded a bunch of pics from Oz on Picasa, and going through all of them was actually a really nice little closing ceremony. What a great time! Now I'm organising (or rather stuffing) my time here. I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone, but it's gonna be pretty busy. Our little Sweden retreat in 3 weeks from now is gonna be exactly what I need! I just can't believe all the stuff that has happened/will be happening this year. It's been super intense in every respect so far, I can't recall a single week without - as Aiko likes to call it - "excitement", or maybe a trip, or a decision, or a piece of news. Let's see what the next few weeks bring, but I don't expect things to calm down any time soon. Even though my new home, Vancouver, has been decided on, there's still heaps of things I need to figure out. My oil money, for one (thanks, Exxon!): Last time I got oil money was with Jason and Nate in Santa Fe, and we did the only reasonable thing - spend it on ice cream. Well, back then it was a slightly smaller amount, something like $5.20 if I remember it right. But then again, it got us a whole quart of awesome cookies&cream, so I'm just trying to imagine the 200-ish quarts of cookies&cream that I could get now!! I'm not quite sure whether Exxon would approve of this type of expense... Either way, there's still a lot gonna happen this year, and I hope everyone is as excited as I am - despite me being in limbo at the moment! Right now I'm off, time for ice cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment