06 July, 2011

Oz #2 - East Coast and IUGG

Continuing my little summary:
part V: Cairns - Sydney
The Cape Tribulation trip was another highlight. Had a fun tour guide who just wouldn't stop telling his stories, saw crocs and spiders and cassowaries.
Took the Greyhound down from Cairns to Airlie Beach, just to hop on the ferry and spend a day on Hamilton Island, hanging out with Fernando and pretending to be a staff member - good times. Another day in Airlie Beach followed, Ocean Rafting in the Whitsundays, stunning views on Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet.
Next stop was Hervey Bay. Spent a day hanging out and relaxing before going on a day tour to Fraser Island, a huge sanddune. Met more really interesting people, saw the humpbacks on their way from Antarctica to warmer waters, watched the dolphins play and dingos roam, and of course hung out at Lake McKenzie with my new love, the coastal carpet python Jimmy and his dad Rich ;)
Decided to skip busy Byron Bay and spent three days in Yamba instead. Great fun, people and jungle juice and some serious doing literally nothing - awesome! Coming to Sydney afterwards quite a shock: a ton of people, huuuge hostel, very anonymous, and horrible attitudes compared to the warm and friendly people in the smaller and more remote Aussie towns. Did the usual touristy stuff: Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, etc. Particularly enjoyed the National Maritime Museum and the exhibition about Scott's Antarctica expedition. Also had a great afternoon reading and indulging in chocolate at Max Brenner's.
Four weeks after I arrived in Oz, time to catch my flight down to Melbourne for IUGG. As it turned out later, I was lucky to get on one of the very last Tiger Airways flights before the Airline was grounded. Also glad we made it safe and sound all the way. Melbourne presented itself sunny and quite warm, and it was nice to catch up with Jess and Sapi again on Wednesday. We started our volunteering duty for the conference on Thursday. A week packed with "involuntary volunteering", talks and posters, a ton of science and making contacts as well as catching up with old and new colleagues and friends followed.
Now I'm back in Wellington, it's raining as hell (of course), and I have to pack and try to process everything I've experienced on the other side of the Tasman. I had an amazing time in Oz, met a bunch of really cool people, thoroughly enjoyed fantastic landscapes and wildlife, and finished my stay with a really successful conference. I learned that Aussies love their boardwalks and their barbecues, and found them similar to the Kiwis - a bunch of very laid back, funny, friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming fellas. It was almost too easy to travel alone, there was always a friendly Aussie offering me rides, helping me out, or simply hanging out for a little chat. Down under, I will come back!
Theme song for the trip was with no doubt (although I'm usually not that much into country): "Raining on the rock" by John Williamson. Pics as always on http://picasaweb.google.com/kathiunglert

No comments:

Post a Comment