18 July, 2011

one week in

Munich Philharmonic Orchestra and Lang Lang, Open Air at Odeonsplatz
As so often, time flies! It's one week now since I got back to Germany, only two weeks left till we depart to Stockholm. My days are busy but awesome: catching up with long-missed friends, going for runs and swims at the lake, enjoying the good Bavarian beer, going to the movies and concerts, bars and restaurants. Went to Tollwood 3 times!! I kinda forgot how awesome summer in Munich can be. Riding home at 2 am on the back of Melli's bike in a skirt and jandals without being cold, swimming in the lake, or hanging out in the Biergarten - simple things but truly amazing :)
On the downside, I'm chronically neglecting my work. Revisions on the paper are due soon, so I should get going on that, but for various reasons I keep pushing it off. The time in Oz seems like a distant memory, despite the fact that I was in Melbourne only two weeks ago. I still haven't realised that I won't see Wellington for a while.
Good news from who's gonna be probably the most awesome new mum in the world made it to Germany though, so a trip back to NZ at some point next year is a definite must! It's nice to have all these little reunions lined up for the coming years, even if the dates aren't exactly fixed yet: Munich, Leeds, Wellington, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, to name a few. Makes me realise that the world is actually a tiny village, and that distances are shorter than they seem, even more so with Skype and email. On the other hand, reading about ice cream online doesn't even closely compare to actually having a nice 2 Liter box of Tip Top Hokey Pokey and eating it. Words of wisdom... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment